This is a ritual for choosing & eating a watermelon. It’s practical but respectful. It’s from Turkey.
- Choose your melon by knocking on its side and listening for a tok tok sound — that’s a good melon.
- You take the biggest knife you have.
- Then you hold the watermelon upright and carve off the watermelon’s head.
- Say Bismillah as you start cutting.
- Cut it like a cone to go a little into the flesh.
- That is the Aha moment. You can now see if the melon is good or not. It should be deep red and smell like a proper watermelon.
- If its a big melon, cut pie-piece-style down from the top, slice by slice.
- Eat each slice with love and respect. Add some salty white cheese to go with its red sweetness. Or have some fresh, doughy, crusty white bread along with it too.